Update: We are all big losers. But not in the biggest loser sort of way, in a failure sort of way. So I'm going to pull a God move and take some bad turn of events and make something good come out of it. Romans 8:28.
First, after my one-month planned running hiatus, literally almost to the day, I came down with a severe cold with the largest symptom being exhaustion. After two weeks of nonsense, I finally went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Bronchitis. After a week of steriods and antibiotics, and actually getting worse, I went back for another round of steriods and antibiotics and never knew whether I officially had pneumonia because I denied the x-ray request. I'm one of those people. But, anyway, that wiped it out. And me.
At some point during this bronchio-pneumonia-malaria that I was experiencing, eagle-eyed Josh was watching the half and full marathon sign-ups. One day, the half was 75% full and the next... ding! Full. So, even though the writing was probably already on the wall (which is a Biblical reference by the way, thanks children's Bible for refreshing this story for me!), I was officially closed out. Which was very discouraging, the finality of it. Josh registered.
On the other side of the gender aisle, Josh was up to 15 miles in August, during our midwest trip. Something about those cool rural Minnesota mornings had him really going strong. Then we got home and at some point, he had massive leg and knee pain. Crippling. Was convinced he had that band syndrome. I think he went to the doctor. He's one of those people. Can't remember the outcome, other than to stay off of it, no running. Once some time passed, he tried again and struggled with the pain. So, took some more time off, then struggled again... and... so has not had a long run since who knows when. I keep asking him if he's canceled our lodging reservation for January - he hasn't and won't til 30 days out (when he has to). Maybe there'll be a one-month comeback. But it's looking rough.
That being said, I was lazy through October and then crazy with November's storm, Sandy. Which was way more devastating than Olivia Newton John's character in Grease. We left town twice, once to take advantage of Josh's office closing and the second, was just the kids and I, because I was in a dither about the power. Incidentally, it came on as I arrived at the halfway point of Maryland.
All that to say, "So am just now getting back into the swing of things."
I jogged this morning at the gym, two miles, and nearly went into cardiac arrest. So there's a lesson about body composition in there... I'm more/less the same weight as I was when I was running well, but way less fit. I'm officially back to training with no concrete goals. Eyeing the same Disney one in 2014, or the Disney Princess, which is just a month or two later. Or, if I get a partner, maybe the one in Chicago in the fall.
B
No comments:
Post a Comment