Saturday, July 21, 2012

Old lady bones

Weeks one and two: completed. I am an on a MWF jog schedule, with Fridays being the long runs. This week it was four miles. Next week will get really serious, with a five miler.

In the past, my jogging has been on a treadmill (preferably around 10:00 AM, my power hour), in an air conditioned gym, with my music in my ears and a TV on mute in my face. Flat. Cool. Entertainment for all senses. Even the sense of smell, thanks to the occassional stink pot on the treadmill next to me. However, with this running program, I've since switched to early mornings (with one evening because the morning could not be done), outside, in the summer heat and humidity, because the race will be outside at dawn. Enjoy that. Anyway, I will officially switch my party vote from team treadmill to team outside. Running outside, jogging, turtling, whatever you want to call my activity, is officially easier outside. No "pace in your face" from the machine - you can do whatever feels most natural (which in the early morning with my fragile-brick body, is quite slow to start), you get some fresh air, you can possibly pick up a little breeze here and there, you get energized with passing cars and buzz of people starting their day. You get to greet people. I've made it a point to greet everyone I pass. Jesus would. He'd also be running in sandals, but I won't go that far.

Friday morning, it was raining. Unlike Josh, I pretty much refuse to run in the rain. Or walk. Or hang out. I will if it comes to that on race day, but I won't before then. So, I went to the gym instead. Which is sad, because I was excited about my new four mile route - which is just an extension of my three mile loop - but still. That gym experience on Friday made me a believer in road racing. It was brutal. That first mile I felt like I was crawling. Actually, based on my pace, I knew I was crawling. The second mile was pulling teeth. The third mile I finally had a stride and then the fourth mile I tried to make up some time. I did. And then I ran to 4.1 just to prove a point. But it is way different getting on a treadmill at 6:30 AM than 10:00 AM. Talk about dry bones. Cold, dry bones. I've done four on the treadmill before, but it is entirely different first thing in the morning. I couldn't even stand having the TV on and resented the blank screen blocking my view from everything - so much nicer to let your eyes wander and mind ramble.

Needless to say, I still have a creaky back. But yesterday my left ankle and my right hip were hurting, so it made me forget about my back. I've learned that I'm old and really need to take off some weight to pull it off, so I'm back to tracking via Weight Watchers. Yay. But since I have the built-in activity, should really see some numbers fly if I track.

I have also learned the importance of hydration. I ran my Wednesday morning run completely dehydrated and I could tell. Three miles is the max mileage I can run dehydrated, I learned that on Wednesday - made it, but barely, and towards the end, I'm pretty sure my tongue was hanging out like a dog.

So, next week is my big week - with my five mile long run. Significant because I have not run 5 miles, on the treadmill or on land, since... probably 2001. I ran the Central Park six mile loop - once - then. Or in 2000. Can't remember, who can blame me - it's been over ten years. That's the point. So this Monday starts my "I've never done this before" training. Or, you know, since I was young and fit and beautiful. And foolish.

Josh ran nine miles this morning - the most he's ran since high school. Bring it, overworked 40-year-old dad! I am enjoying this husband-wife challenge. It has been a great tool to use in learning how to encourage one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment